Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Music Monday: Celtic Bliss

Well, I should be in bed by now. I've been trying (unsuccessfully) to book a ticket from Bangkok to Phnom Penh, but for some reason there's an error and it won't accept my payment. Stupid AirAsia.

Anyway...Music Monday. Since I'm pretty tired (no surprise there), I won't wax poetic about Celtic music. I think we all know that it's awesome. If you don't, then climb out of that hole you live in and get a grooveshark account. Either that or smack your head into the wall for having bad taste.

Irish music can be lively or mellow, wickedly merry or hauntingly sad. I love listening to it all! I've even started to learn the tin whistle and trying to play along with some of the songs. Granted, I'm pretty bad and I don't practice much, but hey, it's a start.

Flogging Molly is really the first band that introduced me to the genre. They're a bit more modern than some other bands, but they know how to rock it while still maintaining Irish sound and content. Over the last couple of months, I've been expanding my listening repertoire to include the Dubliners, the Chieftains, Grada, Danu, and Clannad. Clannad sings in Gaelic, which is kind of nice. The only thing I don't like about that is when I get one of their songs stuck in my head and I can't sing along to it! Solution: make up my own lyrics.

Well, I'm heading to the land of sleep. But before I go, here's some links for your listening pleasure. See all the variety?

Here's some Flogging Molly action, complete with a fun music video.

John Riley, a nice story song by Grada.

Teidhir Abhaile Riu by Clannad. One of my favorites.

4 comments:

  1. love celtic! you're right, "mellow, wickedly merry or hauntingly sad" is the best description. remember that celtic band that came to JBU over a year ago? so good! I'm going to have to check out all of these. love celtic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a fan of Clannad. Did you know it's Enya's family? She used to be a member and sometimes sings at reunions with them. Stylistically they share a few elements. But she went off and bought her own castle, so I guess she's kind of her own thing now ....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did not know that! Interesting. I wish I had my own castle. Maybe I should practice more at the tin whistle.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't listend to much celtic (shameful, I know! **head hung**) But I listened to one of your links...I think I could get into this style of music ; )

    ReplyDelete

I like comments just as much as fresh guacamole and chips! Well, maybe not quite that much...