Friday, February 8, 2013

Making Christmas

Of course this is WAY late, but I thought I'd give a little update about my holidays in Alaska.  First though, an update.  I have found two part-time jobs!  I work three days a week at a small cafe.  The owner is great, and I really enjoy it.  I also am working at a Target Starbucks (yes...).  I'm very grateful to be gainfully employed!  It's also nice that both places are relatively close to where I live.  I bought a car, but it's not quite in running shape yet, so until them I'm walking.  Yeah for forced exercise.

Anyway, the holidays were pretty uneventful, but not bad.  Nathan and I skyped with Mom, Dad, and Amelia on our Christmas Eve, so that was nice.  We opened our presents from Mom and Dad, and Dad opened the present from me, but our other packages hadn't arrived yet!  It got there, eventually.


I had all these plans to decorate and stuff, but I lost my motivation.  We still weren't unpacked and had stuff everywhere.  Besides, I wasn't feeling up to buying a bunch of stuff that I probably wouldn't use again.  SO, I had to settle with my favorite little Santa.  We didn't have a tree, so I figured he'd do, since he's kind of tree-shaped.  



He was kind of small for a tree, but since our presents were small too, it worked out perfectly! 


Nathan gave me a coat!  Isn't it cute?  We went to REI a few days later so I could pick up my present. 


There's nothing like a good Christmas dinner!  For us it consisted of porkchops (which I don't often cook), potato salad (my favorite), cranberry sauce (my second favorite) and garlic spinach.  It was pretty yummy, if I do say so myself.


In the afternoon we decided to go see a movie.  Funnily enough, a few weeks before I was incredulous that Les Miserables was coming out on Christmas Day.  I think my words were somewhere along the lines of "what loser would go to a movie on Christmas day."  [side note: I was half joking and not trying to offend anyone].  But then on Christmas, it was just me and Nathan and no other family to hang out with, so what did we do?  Yup, went to a movie.  

The first theater we went to was sold out, so we went to another one.  That had a later show available, so we bought tickets and went for a drive while we waited.  It's like driving around in Narnia.


All in all, it was a quiet but nice Christmas.  







No comments:

Post a Comment

I like comments just as much as fresh guacamole and chips! Well, maybe not quite that much...