Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Stuck In My Head: Radioactive

The song that's currently stuck in my head isn't my normal kind of music.  In fact, it's possible that I could have disliked this song if I had come across it in different circumstances, but I actually first heard it at the movie theater during the previews.  It was in the trailer for "The Host."  The first time I heard it I immediately loved it and made a mental note to look it up after the movie.  Unfortunately, that mental note got lost during the movie.  It wasn't until I went to another movie and heard it a second time that I remembered to look it up.

As I said, this song isn't the kind I usually go for.  I thought the trailer version was great but the I really disliked the music video version.  Really really really. Dis. Like.  The music video version is almost a minute longer.  Its dramatic pauses are painfully long.  There's all sorts of added sounds like a cheering crowd and dripping water and bells and a snorting beast and...squeaking ducks?  Or something.  The gasp is stretched out torturously.  That's just not my kind of thing.

Then there's the music video.  OH man, could it get any worse?  You have this amazing, dramatic song.  The music video could have been about a prison-break or a revolution or toppling a dictator.  There are SO many options!  But what did they choose?  They alternated between a guy in a prison beating on a drum (at least he was in prison) and a crowd cheering for a fight between...some stuffed animals.  What in the freaking world?  Like cockroaches the squeaky stuffed animals infested this video with fuzziness.  And what do you do with a stuffed animal infestation?  When it gets to the epic chorus, there's the stupid stuffed animals flying around.  Maybe I'm just not cool or ironic enough to get it, but my stomach turned at the lost potential.

I'm not even going to post the official video here.  I hope it gets lost in cyberspace before it ruins the song for others.  That said, if I can forget about the video, I love the song.  It's been stuck in my head for quite awhile, to my delight.


2 comments:

  1. Aww. I really like the music video. It caught me off guard the first time I saw it, but then I realized what it was doing and fell in love with the quirky. I'm a fan of the version without squeaks and teddies, though, too. Sad that it's put to The Host trailer, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's just proof that you're cool and ironic. Different strokes for different folks, right? And I'm guessing you probably wouldn't like some fo the music I do, right? :)

    I do agree about The Host trailer. On a side note, I think it's funny that they would show three similarly-themed trailers back-to-back. Of the three, I thought the futuristic one with Will Smith looked most interesting. I think the father-son dynamic and the evolved earth make it interesting!

    ReplyDelete

I like comments just as much as fresh guacamole and chips! Well, maybe not quite that much...