Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Stuck In My Head: Take The World On

Today was a good day.  It almost was a terrible day but was, thankfully, saved.  It was my first day at my new job as a part-time public library shelver.  I had to join a union and everything.  I've always loved libraries, so I'm happy to be working there.

This morning I worked at my other job (a cafe).  I had a jittery feeling all day, knowing that later I'd be headed to my new job!  Feel free to call my shrink, but whenever I start a new job, I always have a bad feeling that something will go wrong on the first day.  I dream that I'll fall down the stairs and break my ankle or I'll get deathly ill or my car won't start.  So as soon as it was two o'clock, I rushed out to my car, eager to be early on my first day.

And then my car wouldn't start.

I know I hadn't left my lights on.  I had triple-checked them earlier this morning to avoid a dead battery.  I tried many, many times, with no results.  I almost had a heart-attack in my motion-less car.  Lucky for me, my brother who's good at fixing everything is out of town for the next two weeks.  He left yesterday morning.  So what to do?  I only had twenty minutes.

This story has a happy ending.  I called one of his friends, praying that he wouldn't be too busy.  Sure enough, he was able to leave work to come pick me up and take me to the library!  If it was possible to die from relief, I would have done it.  I spent the rest of the afternoon touring the library (it has a lot of confusing secret entrances), meeting nice people, and filling out paperwork.  It was a good first day.

On the bus home, I had a song stuck in my head, 2NE1's Take the World On.

I first loved this song because it's catchy and a good dance song.  The melody is perfect.  But now also I love the sentiment of the chorus, simple as it is.

As it played in my brain, it got me thinking.  I've had a lot of annoying things happen lately, like this car incident.  When these little things accumulate, they can be stressful and drag me down.  And then there's other things, big things, like money issues or future plans or whatever.  Those can make me worry and overthink, wondering if I'll be able to make it or actually accomplish what I try.  But I can take it.  Things will work out.

Whether it's starting a new job or figuring out taxes or moving to another country, I can do it.  I can take the world on.

Let's do it.





Bonus: This video about the making of the song is really fun!



No comments:

Post a Comment

I like comments just as much as fresh guacamole and chips! Well, maybe not quite that much...